Lancaster’s Green Heritage Plaques
This alphabetical list (by street name, etc) also includes a few other Plaques that are not Green. These are marked with a + symbol.
Cable Street, 1 & 3 – Captain Henry Fell & Samuel Simpson
1 & 3 Cable Street built c.1759 for Captain Henry Fell and Samuel Simpson.
Richard Gillow architect
Cable Street, Sainsbury’s – Samuel Gregson: Cable Street Baths +
To the inhabitants of his native town, presented by Samuel Gregson, MP for Lancaster 1863.
Castle Hill, 19 – Old Dispensary
Site of first dispensary. This building, 1785-1833, served as a dispensary providing health care for the poor.
Castle Hill, 1a St Marys Place – Gillow Workshops
Premises were, until 1882, the offices of Gillow & Co cabinet makers.
Gillows and Co of Lancaster and London were among the leading furniture makers of the late 18th and 19th centuries with a vast output that catered for both the nobility, gentry and the growing middle-class market. They made much of the inlaid and satinwood furniture of the period. In about 1695 Robert Gillow founded his firm here in Lancaster and his son Richard subsequently ran the business. The firm opened a London branch in Oxford Street about 1777. Such was the size of their business that they owned their own fleet, bringing timber to Lancaster from the colonies.
As well as a furniture business Richard Gillow was an architect and is responsible for many of the buildings in Georgian Lancaster.
Castle Hill, 23 – Shrigley & Hunt
Site of Shrigley & Hunt stained glass works 1873-1959.
At the height of its fame in the late Victorian era, the company of Shrigley and Hunt ranked among the leading designers and manufacturers of stained glass in Britain, rivalling the better-known contemporaries such William Morris and Company .
The manufacture of stained glass increased dramatically in the late eighteenth and mid-nineteenth centuries owing to the rapid development of houses. Lancaster was no exception. Shrigley and Hunt became the main producers of stained glass in the area and received national and international acclaim for their designs. The firm established itself in the 1750’s and produced for over one hundred years.
Working with Lancaster architects Paley and Austin, Shrigley and Hunt made windows for churches such as St Mary’s in Lancaster and St Paul’s in Scotsforth. Their work can also be found in such exotic destinations as San Remoin in Italy, Tai Chou in China and Flodo in Sweden.
The Lancaster City Museum has an excellent display of artifacts from Shrigley and Hunt.
Castle Hill, Priory Close – John Gardyner +
Gardyner’s Chauntry. Founded 1485. Rebuilt 1792.
Edw. Suart Mayor. John Warbrick, Rich. Atkinson, Bailiffs
Castle Park, 24 – Paley & Austin
Former offices of the firm of Paley and Austin architects 1868-1944.
In Victorian times the fortunes of the Church of England revived after a century of neglect. (The Catholic and Non-Conformist Churches also gained a freedom in one case and respectability in the other which allowed them to build grandly for the first time). This led to a frenzy of building, much of it in the revived Gothic style of the Middle Ages. Among the architectural practices which developed to take advantage of this activity was a Lancaster-based firm which passed under various names in over a hundred years of existence but which is best known today as Paley & Austin. It became a by-word for the quality of its buildings.
During the life of the practice, they created 370 major works , 148 restorations, and 118 minor works, mostly in Lancashire. These ranged from churches to secular work like railway stations and hospitals.
The Catholic Cathedral of St Peter, Lancaster was designed by Edward Paley and is regarded by many as his masterwork.
Jim Price, Head of Geography, St. Martin’s College, Lancaster
Church Street, 76 – Bonnie Prince Charlie
Bonnie Prince Charlie lodged near here in Mrs Livesey’s house 25 November 1745
Church Street, Banks Lyon – Roman Street
Marks line of main road through Roman Lancaster.
Friar Street, 7 – Sir William Turner +
In this house was born on the 7th day of January 1832 Sir William Turner,
K.G.B., F.R.S., D.Sc., LL.D., D.C.L., Knight of the Royal Prussian Order, Pour-le-Mérite,
Professor in and Principal and Vice-Chancellor of Edinburgh University.
High Street (Highmount House) – Thomas Mawson
This house built 1774 was the office of Thomas Mawson, landscape architect 1908-36.
Born in Scorton, just to the south, he was awarded an accolade from King Constantine of Greece for the re-planning of Athens and the rebuilding of Salonika after the Great Fire there in 1917. He was also responsible for the design of the Westfield Memorial village (on West Road, past the rail station) for wounded ex-servicemen from the 1st World War. The land for the village was provided by Thomas Storey as both men had sons in the 1st World War. As well as work for Kings, Dukes and other aristocrats in many countries Mawson is also planned many gardens in the Lake District.
High Street / Middle St – Sir Edward Frankland & Sir John Ambrose Fleming
Sir Edward Frankland FRS 1825-1899, Chemist &
Sir John Ambrose Fleming FRS 1849-1945, Physicist
Worshipped here in their youth.
Sponsored by the Institute of Physics & the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Sir Edward Frankland attended Lancaster Grammar School (see Hillsude below) and was later apprenticed to a chemist in Cheapside. He discovered the theory of valence and the chemical bond and reformed the teaching of chemistry in schools by introducing laboratories.
High Street, 1 – Laurence Binyon +
Laurence Binyon, Poet & Scholar, 1869-1943, was born at No. 1 High Street on 10th August 1869
Indicates the original site of the Grammar School. As the nearest building to the site which is now the car turning place for the garages, 6 Hillside was built about 1820 and the derelict E shaped Tudor school house was knocked down in 1850. There can be seen, in the stone wall supporting the graveyard, the gap where there was a Nip or ginnle to access the School direct from the Church to which it was originally closely connected.
Sir Edward Frankland, went to school there each day from his mothers Boarding House in Penny Street. He could remember watching a woman being hung outside the Castle on his way the School. He also recounted how the sixth formers were allowed to lock the church yard gates and not let the Wedding party through until the Groom had paid them some money.
Source: Roger Frankland
King Street – Assembly Room
Assembly Room built 1759 to raise funds for Penny’s hospital.
King Street – Penny’s Hospital
Penny’s Hospital, Almshouses built under the will of William Penny 1720
King Street, 44 – Shop sign
Pestle & Mortar : a rare survivor of a trade sign once common identifying a pharmacist.
King’s Arms Hotel – Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens stayed here in 1857 & 1862. “They gave you bride cake every day after dinner”
Market Sq: Blue Anchor – Bonnie Prince Charlie
Bonnie Prince Charlie was proclaimed Regent by the Jacobite Army near here 24 November 1745
Meeting House Lane – Friends Meeting House
Friends’ Meeting House. Built 1708. Later enlarged. Quakers have worshipped on this site since 1677.
Mitre House – Roman East Gate
Near this spot stood the East Gate of the Roman Fort
Moor Lane – Gregson Institute
The Henry Gregson Memorial Institute 1889. “To serve the needs of the people”
Architects Austin & Paley
Moor Lane – Moor Lane Mill +
1822-1861 Samuel Greg & Co. 1862-1982 Storey Bros & Co Ltd.
1983-1990 Lancaster City Council. 1990-2007 Reebok UK [From 2008 NHS].
This mill lay derelict for 5 years after Storey Bros ceased trading in 1982.
It was rescued & restored by Lancaster City Council to become the Headquarters of Reebok UK Ltd in August 1990.
It was officially opened by The Right Worshipful The Mayor of the City of Lancaster, Councillor Harry Towers, on 20th March 1991.
Moor Lane – Thomas Edmondson +
In a house on this site was born on the 30th June 1792 Thomas Edmonson inventor of the
Railway Ticket Dating Press & Printing Machinery (1837-40). Died in Manchester 22nd June 1851.
Moor Lane, Golden Lion – Lancashire Witches +
In memory of the Lancashire Witches who were reputed to have taken their last drink here on their way to the gallows 20th August 1612…(11 names listed)…
In memory of all those who suffered through prejudice and intolerance.
Moor Lane,Stonewell – Thomas Johnson +
1895 Erected by public subscription to record the name of Thomas Johnson, solicitor and to perpetuate the memory of his earnest and untiring labours for the welfare of the youth of Lancaster.
Born 1818. Died 1892
New St – Shop sign
The Rocking Horse: rare survivor of a trade sign once common, identifying a toy shop.
South Road – Penny Street Station
Terminus of the Lancaster & Preston Junction Railway & Lancaster’s first station, 1840-46
St George’s Quay, Maritime Museum – Richard Gillow: Custom House
Former Custom House built 1764 to the designs of Richard Gillow.
The Customs House was built to regularise the trade of goods in and out of the Port. The façade of the building indicates it importance with its tall columns, each taken whole from a local quarry. As Richard Gillow was the owner of his own fleet he had something of a stake in it importance.
The visit to the Maritime Museum is free to Lancaster residents and it includes many interesting exhibits and a tea room.
St Leonard Gate – Grand Theatre
Grand Theatre built for the purpose by subscription 1782.
St Leonard Gate – Shakespeare Hotel
Known as “The Shakespeare” since the 18th century, this building has been a tavern, inn and hotel since the first official record of its existence in 1794.